Some movies are just simply above criticism. This is one of them. I’d love to say that I’ve got great new insights into what makes the movie funny or that I talked with the Zucker brothers and have some great behind-the-scenes stories to tell, but I don’t. Instead, I’ll offer a Top Ten list of reasons why I love Airplane!:
- It 180ed Leslie Nielson’s career path, making him a MUCH more interesting actor.
- Ethel Merman has a cameo. Any movie is vastly improved by a little bit of Ethel.
- “Don’t call me Shirley.”
- The singing stewardess scene. (Say THAT three times fast.) It’s a dead-on lampoon of the singing nun scene in Airport ’75, which I now cannot watch without laughing.
- Shep, the dog.
- The writer/directors had the good sense to walk away from the sequel.
- The jiggling Jello™ / jiggling breasts shot.
- The look on the kid with the coffee’s face.
- The copyright warning during the end credits.
- Two words: Robert Stack.
Now, in case you have no idea what I’m talking about for ANY of the above-listed reasons, it’s time for you to watch Airplane! again.
Although you can find the entire movie for watching online via several less-than-reputable websites, Airplane! is a movie best watched with lots of friends. So, to tide you over until you can get your friends over to watch it, here’s the trailer from YouTube: